Through a coordinated community approach, we provide a targeted, multi-faceted domestic abuse service for marginalised and racialised groups. High numbers of underreported abuse occur in LGBTQI+ communities, and those in abusive relationships are often afraid to discuss their experiences and identity. We hope our outreach work can help dismantle these barriers, increasing support for all.
The Respectful Partnerships (RP) programme incorporates an intersectional, culturally sensitive approach. It is a 1:1 intervention for LGBTQI+ people who have been abusive in their intimate relationships against their partner.
RP is a bespoke intervention examining sexual identity, harmful behaviours, trauma, discrimination and community influences. The intervention is for medium to high-risk individuals and up to 20 sessions, delivered online or in person. It provides individuals with a safe space to explore their behaviour, attitudes and experiences, specifically examining the effects of domestic abuse on their current partner and former relationships.
- Help participant(s) to understand why they use unhealthy behaviour in their intimate relationships.
- Learn about the effect of abuse on their current partner and other relationships and forms of abuse experienced.
- Help participant (s) identify, use and build on existing strengths and skills to change their behaviour and develop practical strategies for maintaining change.
- Support participant (s) to make links between their experience of trauma, discrimination, and subsequent relationship history.
- Promote the development of skills related to internal self-management.
- If appropriate, explore the relationship between abusive behaviours and other identifiable need areas, such as mental health and substance misuse.
Individuals’ risks and needs will be identified through a specialist suitability assessment. RP is suitable for those in an LGBTQI+ relationship living in the following boroughs: Barnet, Brent, Enfield, Newham, Hammersmith & Fulham, Harrow, Haringey, Kensington & Chelsea, Tower Hamlets and the City of Westminster. For more information about this intervention, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
LGBTQIA+ United Hearts Support group
RISE is thrilled to partner with Sustainable Communities CIC to co-facilitate an LGBTQIA+ United Hearts Support Group. The weekly sessions will be held from 5.30 pm to 7.30 pm on Tuesdays, on community premises in Kings Cross/ St Pancras. The group is free and open to all LGBTQIA+ persons from Greater London. It will provide group support across cultures with a focus on supporting victims of domestic abuse, led by trained LGBTQIA+ group workers.
If you are interested in attending the confidential support group, self-referrals or referrals from professionals can be made by telephoning 07852389094 during office hours or by e-mailing email@example.com